Thursday, June 05, 2008

The waitress at Cafe Cartel

Met C at Cartel for dinner, and at some point, for some strange reason, our conversation got steered towards the wallpaper - a picture of high-rise buildings, and city lights in the evening- that decorates all the walls of Cafe Cartel. The cityscape is not very much different from our Raffles Place/City Hall area at night, yet it's unmistakably not a picture taken anywhere in Singapore.

So me and C were betting on what city was it.

New York? Chicago? No, I said was Texas, because one of Cartel's famous dish is their Texas Ribs. But then again, granted that there are cities in Texas, cities are NOT exactly an iconic representation of Texas.

Anyway, out of boredom and curiousity, we called on one waitress to ask.

The waitress that came to us was slightly plump, not exactly pretty, speaks with a tinge of DOnald DUck's voice, and an air of act-cuteness. Intelligence is probably not one of her virtues, but we have a question that we're dying to know, and it's a simple question. Even the greatest bimbo shouldn't have a problem answering.

Me: Can you tell us what city is that?
Waitress: Huh??? Hmmm city ah? I dunno ley...Wait I go ask other people.

After a little hum dee dum of wait, she came bouncing back all excited that she's got a new piece of information floating around in that little head of hers.

Waitress: You all guess?? I let you all guess okie? Don't tell you the answer first.
Me: Okie is it in the US...(she looked puzzled)...okay I mean United States...She still looked puzzled...okay fine, AMerica... Is it?

Waitress: No ley. Not in America.

C: Not in America??? Are you sure? The where is it? Hong KOng? Shanghai??
Me: Are you sure it's not America?

Waitress: Ya sure, not Hong Kong, Not Shanghai. Okay, let me give you a clue...It's near England.
C: England???? SO this place is in Europe?
Me: But the architechture doesn't even look European (Nevertheless...) London? Prague?
C: Budapest? Greece? Italy? Paris?

Waitress: All wrong. I give you all big clue already. It's near ENgland.
Me: You sure it's not in the US?

Waitress: Not in US. Okay, give up? Give up? Lemme give you all the answer.
The answer is (*she did a mini drumroll*)....the answer is...NEW YORK.

Us: ... ... ... ... ...But you said it's not in America!!!!

Waitress: Ya, I give you big clues already. It's not in America, it's near ENgland!! So simple!

Us: *muttering under our breath* KNN fucking dumb la

4 comments:

Isabelle, Singapore said...

She's actually Malaysian, with a THICK Malaysian accent. I tried to leave that bit of adjective out, but then I'm forced to rake it up now. LOL

misunderstood said...

evidently, she must have skipped her geography classes in school.

Anonymous said...

Which Cafe Cartel outlet did you visit?

Isabelle, Singapore said...

Bishan.
Having said that, it's not a reason to boycott that branch.