Monday, May 15, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

I wanted to make something special for my mom for Mother's Day. Instead of getting her the usual earrings or a blouse or a necklace, I decided to bake her a cake. A cherry cake with peach fillings, topped with vanilla icing and finally almond slices. Cherry cake because Mother's Day's a pinkish sort of a day and cherry cakes are pink with little dots of red cherries that can pass of as little hearts with a little blur of the camera. Mixing the cake and baking the sponge was made very easy and very idiot proff with Betty Crocker. Hee I cheated. But the slicing and layering it with frosting and peaches was terrible difficult.


(from top left to right then bottom left to right)
1) The Vanilla frosting smells good, everything looks good. Hee!
2) Urgh...I am a little messy when it comes to spreading the frosting over the cake. I'm a messy person by nature.
3) Finally I manage to get the 2nd layer onto the first. But I broke it into 3 pieces in that attempt. but I squashed it after layering it that the peaches inside fell out. Talk about being clumsy.
4) It's really hard to spread la. I give up! Use my fingers...


See this nice piece of work? I didnt do it. That's ZY's cake for his mom. Sobz

The cake turned out to be too sweet. I told him we should have gotten whip cream instead of frosting... heeh. Poor baby...he gets the blame for everything when I get annoying.

Because the cake was too sweet to be finished, we brought it to Grandmama's house to share with everyone. I'm sure with 8 uncles, with their wives and 2 kids each, the tiny cake can be finished. Everyone brought something. We had sparkling grape juice, glutinous rice, beehoon, chinese-style spaghetti (Gram's own creation), buttered prawns etc etc. Mother went to buy another cake, a black forest cake, from Hans in case mine was unpalatable. (I guess she thinks that I was, but was too polite to say that, so she used "in case")



I am wearing Hazel coloured contact lens that ZY bought as a gift for us being together for 8 months + 1 day yesterday. He's really sweet.

2 comments:

우찌유 said...

Silly silly silly... my dad say the cake too sweet. don;t want to eat. sigh.

Isabelle, Singapore said...

It's not Father's Day!!!Aiya...next time we make the strawberries and cream cake okie? haha. Give him a pink heart-shaped cake laced with lots of whipped cream. Then he'll not be jealous and say the cake's too sweet